Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui during the groundbreaking ceremony of Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on April 30, 2021. The stadium is being upgraded at a cost of sh 650 Million.[kipsang Joseph, Standard]

With the closure of Afraha Stadium owing to a Sh2 billion World Bank aided reconstruction and a ban on ASK Nakuru Showground, there will be no Kenyan Premier League (KPL) matches in Nakuru.

This only comes after the completion of Ulinzi Sports Complex in Nairobi, the new home ground of former KPL champions Ulinzi Stars who officially used Afraha Stadium for the past one and half decades.

The was until they shifted their matches to Kericho Green Stadium following another ban on ASK Nakuru Showground, which acted as their alternative ground.

ASK Nakuru Showground was banned by Football Kenya Federation as it does not meet Fifa standards.

Ulinzi Sports Complex in Langata was inaugurated by President Uhuru Kenyatta last week and the soldiers have since shifted their matches to the venue.

Ulinzi head coach Benjamin Nyangweso has however said they are yet to make up their mind whether they will use the Sports Complex for all their matches.

“We have not come up with a proper schedule as to where we’ll be playing our matches. That’s a matter for another day,” he said.

This is the first time in five decades that Nakuru, which over the years was regarded as the granary of Kenyan football will not to have a representation in the top flight league.

Nakuru County Director of Sports Alice Gekonde admitted the delay in completion in the first phase of Afraha Stadium that has cost Sh 650 million.

The first phase was meant to reconstruct all the stands, dressing and washrooms, offices, install water facilities and a tartan track all around the pitch and reconstruct the pitch.